Lime sludge treatment
One of the most efficient and flexible methods to treat dehydrated sludge is by mixing with lime. According to standard UNE-EN 12832, a sanitized sludge is a sludge that has been treated in order to destroy the parasites and pathogenic germs until reducing them to a certain level. The treatment with lime allows, in the cases that the characteristics of the sludge allow, to obtain a healthy and recyclable product in the form of fertilizer for the soil.
Lime addition effects to dehydrated sludge.
- Chemical stabilization by raising pH, allowing longer periods of storage.
- Reduce pathogens to 6 log units.
- Eliminates odors, blocks fermentation.
- Increases the final dryness of the sludge, improves its structure and facilitates handling.
- Agricultural valorization by calcium contribution, better final sludge quality for use in soils with pH imbalance.
- It reduces the mobility of heavy metals by precipitation as hydroxides.